Friday, January 3, 2014

Android Studio versus Eclipse (with ADT plugin)

On the last Google I/O the Android develment team announced a new tool called Android Studio. It's a IDE based on IntelliJ. At this point we are not sure if it's going to replace Eclipse (with ADT plugin) as primary IDE for Android development or that it's going to be supported both in the future.

For the time being, Eclipse is the official supported IDE and Android Studio is only available as "Early Access Preview". This means that it's not officially supported yet and that it's only intended for people that want to take a peak on what's to come.

In the table below we show the main differences:

Eclipse (ADT)Android Studio
TypePluginComplete IDE
Build systemSomething internal in the pluginGradle
Same build as command lineNoYes
Continues compileYesNo
Officially supported by GoogleYesNo
App flavors possibleNoYes
Reproducible buildsNoYes (with Gradle)
StabilityNot really stable, but workable (mainly because of Eclipse)Very stable

At this time I prefer Android Studio. I always use it for personal projects. I don't think it's wise for companies to start using Android Studio. Google is releasing new version almost every week of Android Studio and the Android Gradle plugin. Better to wait for it to get more stable.

2 comments:

  1. Great day! I might have sworn I've visited this site before however in the wake of perusing a considerable lot of the posts I understood it's unfamiliar to me. In any case, I'm unquestionably cheerful I found it and I'll be bookmarking it and returning frequently! best interiors

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Microsoft Office 2016 installed on a computer that I am replacing and I cannot find the DVD/Product Key. Is there any way to get Download MS Office 2016 With Crack

    ReplyDelete